Sunday, March 22, 2009

Weekend

This weekend was soo relaxing!

I lost my voice last week and then got a really bad cough...so I just needed to relax! So once again, I had a nice weekend of doing NOTHING!!


Friday night Eric and I hung out and had Papa Murphy's and that is about it!!

Saturday we did laundry (his, to get stuff ready for his student teaching beginning TOMORROW!!) and lounged...then went to see the movie "New In Town" and then went to Applebee's.

It was pretty good. I was a little worried at the beginning because it was not that good at the very beginning...but it was pretty funny! I had no idea what it was about other than Minnesota, and her moving there for her job. So, being the good Minnesotan I am...I had to see it! Harry Connick Jr. was good in it!

Sunday...slept in, worked out (and it felt soo good to not be taking it easy since this week I have had some wimpy workouts) and then got ready to go volunteer. IT WAS HORRIBLE. There were 4 of us from my major and we are good friends so it was fun to be with them and then another girl who was sort of running this thing...it was at a church and there was a meeting for people so we were doing the childcare. It was supposed to be 4 to 6 so we got there at like 3:45 and no kids came to the room until 4:35!! The meeting was actually 4:30-6:30. Thanks for letting us know.................. Anyway, we were expecting little little kids. NOT THE CASE. There were I think 2 kids under 8 years old and about 10 that were 8-13. Our age range ends at 8...ha!! But actually, it does. Taking care of 12 year olds is not exactly "early childhood education" majors' favorite thing to do. They were from another culture and it was just very, very chaotic. We were in 3 preschool rooms- all connected- so can someone tell me what a bunch of 12 year old girls and 10 year old boys are supposed to do in there?? There were 2 very young children there who could not understand any English so that was very difficult. One did not really cause any problems but one was absolutely bouncing off the walls and I had to follow him around EVERYWHERE because if we just let him go wherever then whoever was in the room he was in would have to leave all of the other kids she was trying to keep in line to keep him from escaping the room.
You know those counters with a closeable window at them- like a ticket office? The room had that and we had the window open for a while and HE TRIED TO CLIMB OUT OF IT. So, that had to get locked and someone had to stand at the doors and I followed him everywhere....it was exhausting. He would sit down and eat pizza...and try to run away with it into the other rooms where they arent supposed to bring food so we would have to CHASE after him and basically wrestle him to the ground and either get him back to his chair or just take the pizza. It was ridiculous! But, he can't understand English so everything we needed to communicate to him we had to just DO for him. IT. WAS. HARD.
Anyway..we were all exhausted afterwards and we brought the kids back to their parents. The meeting was not quite over and of course their little angel children walked quietly to their parents, helped clean stuff up, helped pass around papers to the parents and were still and silent with them. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad I am not going to be teaching that age! It was TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! But, I guess it will be much easier when I am with the kids for more than 2 hours and they actually have structure.

Last night the chain broke on my necklace that Eric gave me. It was so sad!! I wear it everyday. I will just have to get a new chain...but he said something about how bad people must feel when they lose a wedding ring. I can't imagine that after how depressed I was about this easily replaced necklace breaking!!

Tomorrow I just have 2 classes and then a long night of homework ahead of me...and ironing Eric's clothes for teaching! :) I hope it goes well sweetie! (He reads this now...and I am trying to get him to start one! ha..don't think that will happen!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you get the necklace replaced soon!


Awwwww...you iron his clothes. Young love....