Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Long, Sad Day...

So...this morning I checked my email right before I went to class to see if a girl in my science group had emailed me- long story- anyway, I planned on ignoring any other emails until later. Well, I saw one from my dad that he had forwarded...and since he is in Africa I thought I better read it!! It was from one of my uncles saying that my grandparents' house was sold last week. Ok. My Grandma died in June, the first death in my close family. It was the hardest thing I have ever been through in my life. (My Grandpa is still alive- and they have not lived in the house for a few years- they (he) is in Assisted Living about 5 miles from the house). Their house has been for sale for a couple years- tough to sell...it will most likely be a cabin for someone. This IS good thing that it sold, but I am way too sentimental to handle this!!! Haha! This is the house all 9 of their children grew up in and all of the 22 grandchildren LOVE. It is so hard to think that we cannot go inside this house and have us all together as a family. I absolutely love being there when there are a lot of us there- it is so much fun. So I am reading the email and all of these memories of being there come back- and my uncle wrote some in the email too- it was so sad. I started crying and it was 9:35, class at 10am. UGH. I had to just pull it together and go...and I had class until 8pm today. IT SUCKED! Wednesdays are my long day.
I was talking to my friend in class about it (between 2 classes) and my favorite professor walked up and heard it all- she always seems to be there at the right times :-) -and was very understanding and knows how hard it is to let something like that go that is SO full of memories.
I will get over it, and hope that we are all there around Christmas. My Grandpa doesn't hand over the keys until March which was the best part of it all :-)

In one of my FIVE classes today (the one with my favorite professor), a friend of the professor's came and talked to us about her job. I guess it would be a social worker? I was a little confused as to what exactly her job title is...but she basically goes around and does a lot of home visits to people who have been referred to have one. For example...meth houses where the people just happen to be stupid enough to have their little children living there. SO SAD!!!!!! Ugh. But, so very interesting and eye-opening into the real world. She of course has the children removed in almost all cases and is doing great things for them. We talked about Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and other terrible diseases that children have. She really covered it all. It was a very interesting class.

Today was sooooooo longggggggggg.......I think I am getting a sinus infection and just want to go to bed!! Tomorrow I get to see my buddy- so excited! My H.B. is for one of my classes- we meet with a 1st grader for a 1/2 hour every week and do whatever they want (games and activities from a certain cabinet) and learn SO MUCH from them! Mine is SOO sweet. Last week was the 6th time I went and she did not know I was coming that day (we had fall break so I went at an unusual time). She saw me in the doorway and came running up to me and gave me a big hug!! It was so cute. She was soooo excited to leave the room with me haha because they had a sub that day. Later we were using this little box of a bunch of crafty stuff and she cut out a heart and drew 2 smiley faces on it and wrote "I LOVE YOU!" haha I should take a picture of it. I would probably not be able to figure out how to post the picture though. I will figure it out!!

I almost forgot the best part of my day!! My table could not stop laughing in our night class- OMG- we had a bunch of presentations tonight and one group made puppy chow for this part of theirs and gave all of us some. So we are all psyched because it is like 7:45pm and we are all starving since this class is about 2 hours in...not to mention I have been IN THAT ROOM in solid classes since 1pm. Anyway...it gets handed out, and the puppy chow was soo weird. Instead of chocolate and powdered sugar over the cereal.................it was peanut butter and FLOUR!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If no one else thinks that's funny, sorry, but we were like on the floor laughing. The whole class was like what the hell but no one said anything. Too funny...I wonder if she thought it was powdered sugar or meant to give us flour!?! Weird...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was sick a lot in college. It's so draining. Make sure you're taking vitamins!

I'm sorry about your Grandma :(